diy Painted Lamp
There’s no need to invest in new trendy decor when you can quickly and affordably transform what you already have with a fresh coat of paint!
Tool & Supplies
Tools Painter's Touch® Ultra Cover PaintPainter's Touch® Ultra Cover Paint
Tools Zinsser® Bulls Eye 1-2-3® Water-Base PrimerZinsser® Bulls Eye 1-2-3® Water-Base Primer
Tools Krud Kutter Gloss Off Prepaint Surface PreparationKrud Kutter Gloss Off Prepaint Surface Preparation
Lint Free Cloth
Protective safety mask
- Using a lint-free cloth, prep and clean the surface to be painted by wiping it down with Krud Kutter Gloss-Off and let it dry completely.
- Mask off any areas of the lamp that you don’t want to paint (i.e. base, switch, etc.) and be sure to carefully tape off the bulb socket so paint doesn’t get inside. Wrap the cord in a plastic bag and tape shut.
- Take the lamp to a well-ventilated area and, while wearing gloves, shake the Zinsser primer spray paint for one minute. Apply a light, even coat to all surfaces that you wish to paint. Hold the can approximately 12 inches from the surface and spray in a steady back-and-forth motion.
- Once the primer coat is dry, shake the can of Painter’s Touch, and apply a light coat in a similar fashion to the primer coat. (*It is better to apply several light coats of paint rather than one heavy coat to avoid drips.)
- Apply a second coat within a few minutes of the first, and repeat until full coverage is achieved
- Allow to dry before touching (approximately 1 hour), and wait 24 hours until it is fully dry to place on a table surface and add the lamp shade.